Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 12th

Today is 9/11. It is the eleventh anniversary of the horrific terrorist attacks in New York City and Washington, D.C. in 2001. It is a day for honoring the lives of those who died and the first-responders who ran into the collapsing buildings. It is a day to vow to "Never Forget" and "Always Remember." It is also Patriots Day, a holiday that get forgotten quite often.

That is the irony. We swear to never forget 9/11 and the legacy they left us, but do we? What do we do starting September 12th to change our lives? Those people who died did nothing to personally harm their murderers. They just happened to be on the wrong plane or in the wrong building. They were innocent individuals who lived American lives. They were killed for no other reason than they were American. They had mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, husbands and wives, children, friends, coworkers. They had likes and dislikes. They had dreams and goals. They had triumphs and regrets. They had chores to do and memories to make. They were just like you and me.  They were you and me. They are you and me.

We have a responsibility to them. It is our duty to live life the best that we can. We are to honor their lives with an America that follows Her values. We are to pay tribute to them with individual lives of dedication and respect to the country that allows us to live the way we choose. We should try to the best of our ability to remember them in the little actions we do. They died because they were in a place that was a symbol of freedom. It was a symbol of freedom of enterprise, to buy and sell. A freedom to travel and go to and from their homes without government involvement. Let's not forget that there are men and women who fight everyday to defend this freedom. They believe it is worth dying for.

Rising again is what we do.
So, starting tomorrow, let us all try to be a little better on our oaths to "always remember." Remember while your hand is over your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance. Remember while listening to the words of the National Anthem. Remember while you are driving to work on a freeway. Remember while you are sitting in church - or choosing not to go to a church. Remember while you are voicing your opinion. Remember while you are playing with your children, kissing your spouse, hugging your parents. Remember while you are reading the newspaper. Remember while you are laying down at night without fear. Remember the purpose of politics is to elect "good, wise, and just men" to be your voice. Remember when you see a serviceman in uniform. Thank them. Be grateful that you are here. There are so many millions of people who think that the risk of dying is worth the chance to live here. We have so much more than we realize. Be grateful today for the sacrifices of thousands of people who have made your life possible, even just with creating opportunities for you to seize.

Think of those who died eleven years ago today. Think of their families and friends. Tomorrow, think of the future. Think of those who have died since then to ensure that we may live without fear, and that our children will be able to enjoy those freedoms we are so used to. Let us "Always Remember" September 11th by changing the way we live on September 12th.


 I want to say for myself that I know I am one of many who takes for granted all the blessings we have here in America. I forget in my day to day life. I want to be better. I want to start by saying THANK YOU to those who defend our liberty "in all cases," like the stripling warriors. Whether they are military, police, politicians, good citizens - THANK YOU. I want to thank the Founding Fathers (and Mothers) who were inspired to write documents that have withstood the test of time, guaranteeing my personal liberty. I'm grateful to the my ancestors who left their homelands beginning in the 1600s to settle the "New World," a place of promise. Without their sacrifices and hard work, I would not be here today. I want to say THANK YOU to those in history who have defended my liberty from attack, either at home or abroad. THANK YOU. Most importantly, I want to express my thankfulness to my Father - THANK YOU for allowing me the opportunity to live in America. I pray that I will be able to make the most of this incredible chance to make a HUGE difference in this world. I'm SO proud and humbled to be an American.
 
God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment