Monday, September 19, 2011

Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made...


Well, New York was an adventure. I should've known living on the corner of 5th Ave. would be. But hey, it's awesome. We took my Dad up there this past week. New York City is great, but visiting normally, you'd never think of the realities of living there, like, finding a grocery store. Then once you've found one, planning what to buy, because you'll have to carry it all home. For example: you don't want to buy 3 2-liter bottles of soda, a gallon of ice cream, a watermelon, and a box of cereal, especially if you live 10 or 11 blocks away. Planning is VERY important.

Also, living there doesn't mean you have to follow the crowd. Literally. Every time you're at a crosswalk, you have to make a decision: do I follow everyone else and cross the street, even though the light is red, or do I wait and look like a total tourist? A word of advice: obey the law. I witnessed cars bulldoze through crowds even when the pedestrians had the right-of-way.

If you are ever looking for an apartment in the city, particularly in the midtown area, check the street your building is on. If there are bars under almost every building on the street (such is our case), be sure your apartment is on at least the 5th level. We are fortunate enough to be on the 11th floor of our building, but the noise still reaches us. Be aware of this. But the patrons of "The Ginger Man" and the "Home of the Kilted Bartenders" are kind enough to take Monday through Wednesday off from partying to rest at work.

Another part of living there, smoking is a normal part of life for about 85% of the residents there. (the other 15% are children and Mormons.) Sorry that it stinks. Sorry that it makes your eyes water. Sorry that you are trying to live a clean life according to the Word of Wisdom. Sorry that it makes you cough. Sorry that you have a lung condition that makes it hurt to breathe. Don't move here next time.

Take advantage of the resources. See the shows. Visit the temple. Go to the stores. Make a bear at the Build-a-Bear on 5th Ave., which is only the BIGGEST BUILD-A-BEAR IN THE WHOLE WORLD. No big deal. I'm chill with it.

I love New York. I really do. I really enjoyed my time there. I'm looking forward to spending more time there. My favorite things we did in NYC were watching Hawaii 5-O with my family in the apartment, going to the Lion King on Broadway with AMAZING seats, eating at Pret A Manger, stuffing my face with heavenly cheesecake at Junior's. But my most memorable moment was when we went to the top of the Empire State building at night on my brother's birthday. We could see everything and some. Being able to look down a city I just met, and to feel so at home was amazing. The lights were beautiful, the energy was amazing. I love New York City. Still, I was excited to get back on the train headed for Washington, D.C. I love it here. I have found room in my heart for both of my homes - two of the most amazing cities on earth.

I'm so blessed to be a Washing-Yorker.

No comments:

Post a Comment